Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Calling in sick


So is a blogger allowed to call in sick?  Do you risk disappointing people who are regular readers?  It’s been a long day as my youngest has been sick and I think I was more worried about him then I let on and I haven’t slept well the last couple nights.  Now he’s a bouncing boy again, but I’m exhausted and yet I haven’t written tonight’s blog.  

I realized, I could go to bed and not post anything, but what does that say about the commitment I’ve made to myself.  I committed to writing a blog five days a week and although I’m sure readers would understand, I’d be letting someone even more important down.  I’d be letting myself down.  

People seem to say they are committed to things these days, but it doesn’t seem to have the same meaning anymore.  Even the commitment of marriage is now often treated as “something we’ll try out”.  Real commitment means doing whatever is needed to make it work.  In marriage, that means through good times and bad times.  Commitment to your goals is just as important, so follow through and just get it done.  Plan accordingly and don’t over commit, setting yourself up for failure, but when you finally come up with a workable, realistic commitment do everything necessary to keep that commitment.  Otherwise, you are consciously or subconsciously saying to yourself that your commitments to yourself are not really that important and you are not that important.  

To quote the Nike slogan “Just do it.”  You can be proud of your accomplishments when you know you did it, even when it was hard or inconvenient.

OK-tonight’s blog is done and I can continue to say that I have, without fail, posted five days a week since I started.  Still committed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment