Thursday, March 31, 2011

Unachieved Goals


Today is March 31st and I set a goal six weeks ago to be accomplished by today, but it’s not.  The question is now should I be disappointed and upset?  Should I give up and say to myself, “You’ll never accomplish this goal, so why even try?”  I could, but that really wouldn’t be helpful to anyone.

So today instead I look at everything I have accomplished in the last six weeks.  I’ve done training, I’ve been blogging, I’ve been meeting with my accountability partner, I’ve been doing a lot of research and I have someone working on a website, business cards and letterhead.   I’ve started going to Toastmasters to improve my speaking and communication skills and I’ve started a draft for a speech.  I’ve also spent some quality time with my family, and achieved some other smaller, but equally important goals.  Considering I work a full time and have children, that’s not bad for six weeks, so when I see that I haven’t completed everything I wanted to by March 31st, I can still be proud of what I have done.  I know that if I stay with it, I will get there.  If I stop now, the one thing I know for certain is I won’t reach my goal.

Have you set goals and not achieved them by the date you wanted?  Losing 20 lbs by summer, or training for a marathon, starting a business, or getting a new job.  Whatever your goal, stick with it because it’s quite possible you are closer than you realize and you can be certain of one thing:  if you give up now, you will not reach your goal.  Look at all the small successes and be proud of yourself and celebrate everything you’ve done then look at your plan, re-evaluate and re-commit to a new timeline.  

When at first you don’t succeed, try, try, and try again and then again and again.  

If you enjoy these posts or know someone who will find them helpful, please feel free to share. At the bottom of each post there is a small toolbar to allow for easy sharing on Facebook, Twitter and various other social media networks.  Thanks!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment