Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It’s not about changing the world in one day!


When we have a problem or set goals, we are often overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done.  How in the world can I get from here to there?  It’s just too big and too much and I’ll never make a difference.   I can’t become abundantly successful.  Wait just a minute.  Stop the negative self talk and step back.

You can’t and shouldn’t expect to change the world in one day.  Apparently even God himself took six days to create the world so give yourself a little while to change your little corner of it.

If you are overwhelmed by the task before you, stop and break it down.  Take baby steps and try to accomplish just one little step each day.  And don’t be impatient with yourself because that self defeating attitude won’t help.  If you take one swing of the axe to the tree every day, it will fall.  

Often people feel overwhelmed by the poverty in the world, injustice or environmental desecration of our planet, because the problems seem too big for one person to make a difference.  The truth is that all change starts with one person, taking one swing at the problem.  Rosa Parks didn’t set out to lead a civil rights movement, but her one stand against the problem did help spark the fire.  

Whatever your goal, write it down and break it down into all the steps needed to accomplish it.  Keep breaking down the actions until they are small enough that you can easily accomplish one each day.  One action might be making a single call, or reading one article.  Remember each small step will bring you closer to the goal you’re striving for.

When I was in my last year of high school, I decided that I wanted to open my own restaurant and so at the time there was a college program for hotel and restaurant management that seemed appropriate.  I was working full time in a restaurant and learned a lot about the business while going to school to complete my last 4 credits that were required for university admission, but once college was the preferred option, I realized I only needed one English credit.  The easiest and fastest way to complete that was through correspondence, or so I thought.  Well, as often happens, work and family got in the way and I never graduated from high school.  This hung over me for many years and I was ashamed.  So when the opportunity arose for me to go back to school and get my degree I jumped at the chance.  

My goal was not easy because I had four children and a full time job.  I started out with baby steps in 1997 with one course.  Then after many years, I was tired of how long it was taking and I challenged myself and took two then three and finally five courses in a semester.  I was still working full time, although I was lucky to have very flexible hours and a very supportive husband, but it was hard.  I took it one day at a time.  Go to one lecture; write one paper, read one chapter.  Finally after 13 years I graduated.  In 1997 that degree looked impossible and unlikely, but I took the first step.   April 2010, when I went to convocation, wore the robe and received my degree with my children there to watch, I knew that each small step had finally brought me to this proud moment.  

You just have to be persistent and keep taking the small steps.  You won’t change your world in a day, but you will progress and achieve great things if you just keep at it.  It's the little things that make a difference and bring you ultimate success.

If you have goals you want to achieve but need help breaking them down, contact me to schedule a complimentary coaching session.   Stacey@StaceyKirkpatrick.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment